livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Investigating strawberries

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Investigating strawberries
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 07:45:43 -0600

Investigating strawberries I found these saying you can plant everbearing in
spring, (zone 5), pick off blossoms through June, pick off runners, and have
berries late summer. Anyone grow everbearings first year like this? We can
get Quinault all over town for planting.

Any runners that develop on everbearing and day-neutral strawberries should
be removed and the plants maintained as large, single plants. Remove all
blossoms on everbearing and day-neutral strawberries until early July. Any
flowers which bloom after this period may be allowed to develop into fruit.
Flower removal aids plant establishment.
http://www.extension.iastate.edu/news/2009/mar/061901.htm

While June-bearing varieties can take a year to establish (you normally plant
them now for next year's harvest), everbearing plants can give you fruit the
very first year and may allow you to extend your harvest over a period of
weeks or months.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/03/11/how-to-grow-strawberries_n_173885.html

The perpetual-fruiting varieties, in fact, bear at least two distinct crops.
In the first year after planting, the first batch of blossom should be
removed to give the plants a chance to gain size and strength. Blossom
appearing after the end of June is allowed to develop and the fruit will be
ripe from late summer onwards.
http://www.backyardgardener.com/plants/gstrawberry.html