livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] grasshoppers

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] grasshoppers
  • Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 21:28:05 +0100

They can interbreed just like an ass and a horse can interbreed to give a sterile mule.
Muscovie ducks are much better mothers than our tame "normal" ducks so we have put a clutch of duck eggs under a muscovie mother at times. The ducklings then get imprinted on the muscovie mother and they see muscovie females as belonging to their species. Since drakes are the most sexed up species on the farm (testicle to body weight ratio is amongst the biggest in nature) they do mate then with muscovie females and the next generation are very fast growing "mules".
Muscovie males are very much more sedate, very much slower and bigger and they would never mate with regular ducks.
The regular drakes also show no interest in muscovie females unless they were hatched out by them.

So somebody stupid has been amusing himself making up rules that make little sense.
john
Pretty much.  The claim is that they are interbreeding with the wild species or some such thing.  I've yet to SEE a wild duck in this area, but still can't get them without a special license now.
Norma