livingontheland - [Livingontheland] sustainable

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: <bob@4agoodauction.com>
  • To: <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] sustainable
  • Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 22:31:23 -0500

I am in Texas and the grasshoppers have eaten everything in the garden
except okra and Cucuzza. The cucuzza is thriving without added moisture and
producing a huge quantity of squash. All the bean crops are gone. I am
thinking about how to make a giant vacuum cleaner running off the PTO of the
tractor so I could use the grasshoppers for chicken feed, fish feed and
garden ammonia. I am rambling but part of sustainability to my way of
thinking is to find what crops grow and flourish in the "new" higher temps.
I am looking for seeds from the arid areas of the world to try as I do not
believe anything will get better in my life time. I don't believe it will be
worth the effort to salvage the past patterns of farming or life. Better to
find what will work in the new reality.
Bob C