livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Peak Food: Can Another Green Revolution Save Us?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Peak Food: Can Another Green Revolution Save Us?
  • Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2010 11:04:16 -0600

I get your meaning, but the big bottleneck is all the rest of the world's
resources. You can handle the soil but freshwater is limited and already
growing scarcer for irrigation in so many places. China, India, & the rest of
the "undeveloped" world wants to have our high consumption lifestyle, and
that would require five Earths to provide the resources for that. The
planet's current consumption is drawing down essential minerals and fossil
fuels for all kinds of manufacturing, transport, building, war machines,
heating and cooling, and we will run out even with no population increase at
all.

Where we live they're drawing down a closed fossil aquifer to irrigate a lot
of alfalfa for animal feed. We see a lot of horses kept only for recreation
in this rural area.