livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Peak Food: Can Another Green Revolution Save Us?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Ken Hargesheimer <minifarms2@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Peak Food: Can Another Green Revolution Save Us?
  • Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 07:00:54 -0700 (PDT)

The Green Revolution was promoted by corporations for profit; no other reason. It was never necessary because organic, no-till would have accomplished the same goal without killing anyone. That was not done because there is no profit in it for any corporation.  The farmer only needs to buy seed.  Of the many countries in the world where I have taught workshops, only one place has no chemicals or inorganic fertilizers:  Gracias A Dios state in Honduras.  Every things flies in or goes by barge so those things would be very expensive.

Organic, no-till farming can produce all the food the world will every need regardless of how high the population goes. Want to reduce poplulation growth?  Educate people.  Elderly, uneducated people must have a lot of children to have old age security. The Nigerian elderly told me that during a family planning session.

Ken Hargesheimer

Ken Hargesheimer