livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Using Human Waste

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Using Human Waste
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 00:06:38 +0100

Unpleasant odors are caused by escaping nitrogen and sulfur compounds mainly. They only come about if there is not enough carbon content in your compost heap. In simpler words this means that the bulk of your compost pile better consists of high carbon material such as wood chips ar saw dust, straw or even paper and cardboard (sufficiently damp). Bacteria will use the carbon for cell building and energy and they will snap up all nitrogen and sulfur provided these are limited factors.
The moment it smells there is something wrong!
john

Are there unpleasant odors associated with the early stages of composting? My wife is going to be renting rooms to tourists at the finca and we need to keep the aesthetics in line with that service :-) Also becoming old codgers we don't want to commit to a system that would require a lot of physical effort we cannot depend upon ourselves to provide at some point. This would include moving the resources far enough away from the house to avoid odors. Also is your composting thermophilic?

With regard to the spread of pathogens this depends on the presence of the critter, the density and susceptibility of the population, and a means of transmission. These are fairly easy to manage on a small scale and in relative isolation but when communities become involved things change rapidly. It sounds to me like you are well aware of these issues.

Phil

---- Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com> wrote:
I absolutely agree, pathogens are not a problem. I have used our humanure for nearly 10 years and never had a problem. I let it compost with dry leaves, saw dust, soil, grass, weeds or whatever is available. After a few months it turns into crumbly soil that smells as good forest soil (probably because of the leaves). I usually wait for two years before I use it on root vegetables or things like salads that are eaten raw just to be on the safe side. I would never use night soil from other households or from the city because people consume all sorts of pharmaceuticals and pour chemicals down the drain. I even separate the toilet paper because of the bleaching agents.

The human body and our surroundings contain billions of microbes, most are beneficial, a few are potential pathogens when the conditions are right, but our immune system even needs these potential pathogens to build its defenses. There is only about half a dozen of dangerous pathogens like tuberculoses that are always harmful, but most of these have been eradicated in the West.

Dieter Brand
Portugal