livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Using Human Waste

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: <pbunch@cox.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Using Human Waste
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 4:50:43 -0700

John:

There are pathways to man in any system that uses human waste. Splash from
water or soil to leaf, leaf to mouth is one pathway. Ways WHO recommends
breaking or impeding this pathway is by using such untreated waste water in
sub-irrigation systems and on tree crops which bare at a height above the
ground sufficient to avoid splash. They also recommend washing, disinfecting
and cooking. Combinations are generally preferred to single measures.

It may well be that there are currently no populations of significant water
borne pathogens such as typhoid, cholera, amoebic dysentery, leptospirosis,
giardia etc in your area. Also, you and others that consume your produce may
already have had infections by the more minor critters like rotovirus and are
now resistant or have immunity.

Here in Colombia there are significant populations of water borne pathogens
and great care is required. Rotovirus still kills a lot of kids here from low
income and rural families that do not have good access to medical services
and whose families have not learned how to deal with the dysentery it causes.
The mass implementation of human waste usage in agriculture would create a
very different situation in Ireland and all over the "developed" world.

I lived in rural Canada for a while and we were drinking from a shallow well.
I got the worst case of dysentery you can imagine. This alerted me to the
realities of water borne pathogens :-(

All this is not in any way to discourage closing the nutrient loop under
discussion. It is just to suggest that we need to look carefully at HOW we do
it.

Phil