livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Using Human Waste

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Using Human Waste
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 12:33:09 -0700 (PDT)

I absolutely agree, pathogens are not a problem. I have used our humanure
for nearly 10 years and never had a problem. I let it compost with dry
leaves, saw dust, soil, grass, weeds or whatever is available. After a few
months it turns into crumbly soil that smells as good forest soil (probably
because of the leaves). I usually wait for two years before I use it on root
vegetables or things like salads that are eaten raw just to be on the safe
side. I would never use night soil from other households or from the city
because people consume all sorts of pharmaceuticals and pour chemicals down
the drain. I even separate the toilet paper because of the bleaching agents.

The human body and our surroundings contain billions of microbes, most are
beneficial, a few are potential pathogens when the conditions are right, but
our immune system even needs these potential pathogens to build its defenses.
There is only about half a dozen of dangerous pathogens like tuberculoses
that are always harmful, but most of these have been eradicated in the West.

Dieter Brand
Portugal