livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Lycopene in tomatoes and more

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pumpkin Lady <pumpkingal@clearwire.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Lycopene in tomatoes and more
  • Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 15:27:18 -0600

Tradingpost wrote:

A sideline: Barb just showed me a Dr. Oz segment on the tube where they stated lycopene in tomatoes is better in tomato sauce. Anyone hear anything on that?

It all depends on who you talk to. There was a study a few years back that said that dehydrated tomatoes were higher.

I have read stuff that says that you absorb more of it when it's cooked in something with some fat such as meat fat or olive oil.

Here's one place, although it's not where I originally read it.
http://www.cancer.org/docroot/ETO/content/ETO_5_3X_Lycopene.asp

There are some people breeding high lycopene tomatoes, and supposedly grape and plum red tomatoes are higher in lycopene than "average".

I saw some people touting silverberry fruit as having more lycopene that tomatoes, but I don't think I've seen absolute data on it.

http://www.nature.org/wherewework/northamerica/states/indiana/misc/art23197.html

Silverberry is listed as drought tolerant in my area (I get a little more rain than you do, but not like "normal" areas), and I plan to buy and plant some this year. It won't kill the goats if they chow down on it, so I can replace the drought tolerant but not goat safe shrubbery with it. If it does well, I will get more and use it as part of the dust break/living privacy plant hedge I wish to put in my back field.

Morgan