livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] When the Body Says No: Understanding the Stress-Disease Connection

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] When the Body Says No: Understanding the Stress-Disease Connection
  • Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 12:06:34 -0700

A growing interest of mine is using the simple, unprocessed food ingredients
we can produce ourselves rather than obtain elsewhere. Food security goes
beyond growing and it means being able to use it and benefit. For me now,
this is also for health reasons. We'll grow and eat more of the antioxidants
this year.

Seasonal is good, nourishing is good, but there's much more. Preserving or
freezing can be necessary for out of season diet and avoiding the food miles.
Food is more nourishing if it's more nutrient dense due to freshness or
healthy growing. A sideline: Barb just showed me a Dr. Oz segment on the tube
where they stated lycopene in tomatoes is better in tomato sauce. Anyone hear
anything on that?