livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Alternate power/water was: vilisak

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Emery Mitchamore <emitch@att.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Alternate power/water was: vilisak
  • Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 13:06:05 -0600

My take on this issue is, as with most issues, to incorporate half-measures.  Natural disasters such as ice storms and hurricanes frequently interrupt electricity, so a system designed for these events makes good sense even if our civilization doesn't collapse.  Also, even very undeveloped or war-torn locations have intermittent electricity. Consequently, increased water storage is a good hedge for all circumstances.  I have 8,000 gallons of above-ground storage which can be used gravity-fed in the event of a power outage.  It's refilled by a rainwater collection system or from a well when power is available.  For electricity, a few hundred dollars can procure a small 12V solar system sufficient for a small RV refrigerator and communication devices.  This, too, would be handy for weather-caused outages.