livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Vilsack Highlights role of agriculture

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Vilsack Highlights role of agriculture
  • Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 09:47:17 -0700

Question. If city water fails, is it failure of electrical power? If so,
wells like mine would be DOA. Which may lead to the fallback, rainwater
storage.

Consider the implications. Without fossil fuel electricity or reliable grids
most electrical equipment of all kinds would be DOA. Almost nobody would have
alternative energy sources to power anything. Certainly industries wouldn't.
Nuclear plants need fuel transported - by what? Electric trucks running on
batteries? Today alternative sources make up a tiny fraction of power
generation in the U.S. And they need huge amounts of energy to develop, which
today is fossil fuel-based. When the cost of fossil fuels gets high enough to
panic us into alternatives, it will cost too much to build alternatives.
Solar panels aren't manufactured with solar power. The eventual social and
economic impact is too severe to dwell on. I'd focus on learning to provide
the necessities of life in a community. That's what we need anyway, isn't it?