livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Fw: Re: The Climate Science Isn't Settled Confident predictions of catastrophe are unwarranted.

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Emery Mitchamore <emitch@att.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Fw: Re: The Climate Science Isn't Settled Confident predictions of catastrophe are unwarranted.
  • Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 15:40:02 -0600

The main problem I have with such debates is that this side (often referred to as "denier") never addresses the "down side".  Sure, it's great if there is no negative effect on civilization (and I hope they're right), but what if there IS?  I think that's the interest of most on this list.  We try to prepare ourselves to survive (climate change, water shortages, bank failures, food insecurity - you fill in the blank).  Heck, I even buy insurance for mundane events like car crashes and house fires.  Surely I'm going to try to moderate the possible effects of The End of Civilization.

There's an article in this week's Time magazine by Bjorn Lomberg (The Skeptical Environmentalist), that attempts to characterize the problem in dollars, and concludes the Copenhagen conference is doomed to failure.  Again, not much help in deciding what to do.