livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Biochar questions

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: yarrow@sfo.com
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Biochar questions
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 22:38:42 -0800

At 7:20 AM -0500 11/10/09, Don Bowen wrote:
I have been clearing a 60 ft square section of scrub brush and small
trees where I plan to build a shop. The result is a huge pile of
branches that at first would make a good habitant but as the pile grew
that became impractical. I have been thinking of either burning it to
make biochar or passing it though a chipper.

Which would be better for the soil, biochar or chippings? There is so
much of this stuff that it would make a huge bonfire.

If you have a place to pile it up over the next few months, a third option is Hugelkultur.