livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Biochar questions

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Amrita Chaudhury <seheli@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Biochar questions
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 03:16:39 -0800 (PST)

I had attended a talk by Tim Flannery, author of The Weather Makers, last year and there heard of pyrolysis for the first time in relation to climate change mitigation. Flannery ranked pyrolysis very highly as one of the ways to save the planet, because it converts crop waste to fuel and char to enhance soil fertility and store carbon ... and it does not need extensive govt subsidies and policies to implement.

I did not have the perspective to question the efficacy of this method, and have been since considering buying a pyrolysis kiln from ARTI (http://www.arti-india.org/content/view/42/52/). I am eagerly following this discussion to get inputs from both angles. Now this kiln apparently will use some of the pyrolysis gases to run the combustion. It would be interesting to know if this really sequesters carbon more efficiently than mulching.