livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Biochar questions

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Terry Wereb <frostedacres@gmail.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Biochar questions
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 09:59:30 -0500

I am 'charring' newspapers and other wood based products for my own experimentation in making a terra preta product. Some of the char is going into my vermiculture bin. some into the 'normal' compost pile, and still more into the recipe I am trying to develope for a potting and growth medium for seeds and houseplants. Most of my charring takes place in the wood burning stove that my brother heats the little cabin with. Some takes place in the trash burning pile-- I have to tend to the fire anyway.. so I remove the charred paper before it disintegrates into fly ash. For me, it is a great way to avoid dumping newspapers into the landfill. ( I have a paper route where I  bring back the unsold papers, which my employer then discards into a regular trash pickup bin-- yuck!!!)

 Terry W