livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Biochar questions

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: mdnagel@verizon.net
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Biochar questions
  • Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 19:14:07 -0600 (CST)

Not to be flip, but anyone who's extensively involved with something is going to be a proponent.  There are plenty of people who think that modern Ag is good!

Pyrolysis is fascinating, but don't let fascination distract from the facts.

Burning fields is NOT the same as pyrolysis.

Not single thing is going to "save the planet."  Nothing that humans do is going to do this!  The planet doesn't need to be "saved," as this implies a dependency on humans.  The planet will be fine, whether it is hospitable to life as we know it is another question.  And, the next glacial period WILL arrive, regardless of what we do: it's Mother Nature's "Big Till," "game reset."

Again, NO ONE has been able to demonstrate a net REDUCTION in CO2.  And even IF this were so, that doesn't automatically solve anything- the entire process needs to be analyzed; and then, the extent of scaling needs to be looked at BEFORE any attempts to scale it!

Whether something NEEDS government subsidies* isn't the point.  If capitalism gets a hold of something you can be assured that it will milk government money* regardless!

* This "money" is the people's money, not the government's.

-Mark Nagel
Everett, WA