livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Trading city life for an East Texas farm

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Liz" <liz@allslash.org>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Trading city life for an East Texas farm
  • Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 20:37:24 -0400

You're right about there being other attractions, but most people still have to come up with enough money to pay the bills. If people think the only way to change their lives is to give up the job that puts food on the table, and live on their savings for some undetermined period of time, a lot fewer people will try it. That was the first thing that struck me about the couple, that the husband probably made a heck of a lot of money in oil and had investments to live on, or assets to sell. Plus the property that they conveniently inherited and didn't have to buy. I think the ordinary person reading about them would say, "Oh well, another rich guy playing at being a farmer, must be nice to be able to afford that."

I am happy to hear that they made such a change. I just wish the people writing those stories would find more realistic situations to write about, things that the average person could look at and say, "You know, I could do that."

Liz