livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Trading city life for an East Texas farm

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Liz" <liz@allslash.org>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Trading city life for an East Texas farm
  • Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 12:33:57 -0400

In addition to what has been said about turning a profit, and being
overdiversified, I'll add that articles like these give the impression that
the only people who can adopt a different lifestyle must have lots of money
to begin with, to buy all the things they think they need and to sustain
them while they try (more or less successfully) to live the old-fashioned
way.

It isn't impossible to slow down and live differently in the city or in
suburbia (though the issues you have to deal with may be different ones).
People seem to see this as an all-or-nothing proposition. Either you
continue the high-pressure lifestyle or you opt out altogether. I'd love to
see more articles about people with community gardens or people who have made a substantial change in lifestyle right in their suburban neighborhood. Not that I'm supporting suburbia, but we've got it, and an awful lot of people are living there. It would help if the newspaper articles didn't make it sound as though you have to give up your job and buy property in the country in order to live differently.

Liz
http://life-as-a-spectator-sport.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>