livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] What Alice Waters is Missing

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Liz" <liz@allslash.org>
  • To: <pvukovic1@yahoo.com>, "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] What Alice Waters is Missing
  • Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 19:08:15 -0400

Thank you, Pete! Especially appreciate the last part of what you said, lol. Around here, in farm country, it's not elitist, but a friend in Washington DC assures me that growing your own food is a "fad that will last only until people realize they can't actually do it." Amazing how people survived before industrial agriculture, isn't it?

Liz

Talk of elitism is a horesefly in my ear these days (I hear it all the time). Annoying, misleading, and a time suck. Ok fine, taking care of the land is elitist, sign me up and get me one of them fancy exclusive stewardship platinum cards. All those years of wearing a tux out to our organic beds and compost holes in the midwest have apparently numbed my sense of entitlement and left me without proletarian standing. In my defense I dressed that way out of respect for the ants, not just to put the neighbors to shame.