livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] What Alice Waters is Missing

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Liz" <liz@allslash.org>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] What Alice Waters is Missing
  • Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 19:30:54 -0400

(nonsense. if people learned how to cook they'd find eating organic is
cheaper than processed storebought. and of course most of us can't get
enough variety at farmers markets, no surprise, so we need to grow more of
our own or buy local from other sources. too hard for the clueless to
figure out.)

I agree, but I think what the author was saying was, "With my current lifestyle [and by extension, that of the people she was writing for], I can't eat the way Alice Waters says we should eat." She didn't sound like a person who was eating much processed food, but there aren't many professional lifestyles that can be maintained while you're growing enough garden to feed yourself at the same time (first hand experience speaking here).

If Alice Waters realizes the extent of lifestyle change that's going to be required to eat healthy, local food, she isn't talking much about it. Nor are most of the others who are advocating for healthy, locally grown food. Perhaps that's because not all of them understand what it takes to provide it, but it may also be that no one would listen at all if they just said bluntly, "You're going to have to grow a substantial percentage of your own food, real soon now."

Every time the stock market closes up five points, it sets progress back another couple of months. People take a deep breath and say, "Well, everything's looking up again, no need to (reduce consumption, save money, plant a garden, etc.)." No real change is going to happen until we're at or beyond the point of no return.

Aren't I just a Pollyanna today :-(

Liz
http://life-as-a-spectator-sport.com