livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] What Alice Waters is Missing

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pumpkin Lady <pumpkingal@clearwire.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] What Alice Waters is Missing
  • Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 08:40:43 -0500

Liz wrote:

I agree, but I think what the author was saying was, "With my current lifestyle [and by extension, that of the people she was writing for], I can't eat the way Alice Waters says we should eat." She didn't sound like a person who was eating much processed food, but there aren't many professional lifestyles that can be maintained while you're growing enough garden to feed yourself at the same time (first hand experience speaking here).

Have you looked into Once a Month Cooking? I've never done it, but I always made big meals that would make more than one meal every meal on the weekend and figured out what simple things I would add during the week to "stretch them out".

This past summer, we were having problems with going out too much when we did stuff in town (and since we were remodeling and my husband was constantly finding stuff he needed we were in town often). We usually ended up at some place that served soups and salads. I took that as a hint and made a bunch of different soups and canned them, several types of bread, and put together some simple salad makings and we found eating at home was a lot more appealing.

I'm not disagreeing with the article because I would have a difficult time eating local without my garden, too. But I have gardened and worked full time and still cooked for us with primarily locally grown organic ingredients. It just takes more scheduling. What people need are free classes in how to make an intensive bed garden at home for cheap or free and how to grow stuff in them as well as how to prepare and/or cook them after they've grown them.

Morgan