livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] What Alice Waters is Missing

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] What Alice Waters is Missing
  • Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 11:06:15 -0700

Yes. In our area the vast majority of homes have at least an acre to work
with, but little rain. And you could hunt around all day and never find any
home gardens, tho many have their own wells as we do. Of course I support
the intensive bed approach, since it's water conserving, easily mulched,
and way more productive for the space it takes. And I strongly believe the
biggest problem with home food growing is people don't get much out of it
for the time and effort. Bed growing can change all that. Furthermore, it
can be done without the cost of a tiller, and concentrating amendments on
the beds saves at least half the money or time on amendments.

We haven't seen rain since December but got 8" snow last nite, this late.
So my back gets a couple days off from the garden prep. Through a friend we
lucked into free loaded horse manure, aged nicely, near enough to haul
pickup loads. I put it through a 1/4" screen and tarped it against the wind
and weather, must be enough for years to come since the garden we fenced
off is less than 1/4 acre. It also makes nice mulch so when it does rain
the beds get another soaking of manure tea.

I guess someone else will have to do the free classes ;-)

What people need are free classes in