livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Mulch

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Mulch
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2008 12:16:13 -0600

Wood chips take too long to decompose and use up available nitrogen, which
forces you to add it in some form to grow crops, and that can get expensive.
Plowing under mulch at seasons end means plowing under browns which need
added nitrogen, and it means plowing which exposes soil humus to more air and
degrades your soil organic matter levels. Running faster to keep up. Of
course I use hay. Straw is too light and blows off in one day. I get a few
"weeds" but I'd be nuts to fear alfalfa growing in my beds. It fixes soil
nitrogen and deep roots bring up subsoil minerals and add organic matter to
the soil. Fact is, most hay doesn't have much weed seed, or shouldn't, and
hay is usually cut and baled before it goes to seed. I grew up with hay and
it's just not full of weeds. The hay I get is the free loose stuff around the
sheds at feed stores. After applying it I do water it in once or twice. I
don't mess with it on windy days anyway.

You're concerned about getting enough hay and how to spread it and what to do
with it in the fall. Why do anything with it? If you can't get enough hay or
it's too much area to spread, then you're working too much land. Intensive
vegetable production can make a ton of money on little land, and if you make
the learning curve you can do it without machinery, fertilizer, pesticide,
fungicide, or paid labor. And keep your costs ridiculously low. I do.
Fertilizer has tripled in the past year.

Most farmers understand their profit is what's left after all their costs.
But they don't believe they can hold costs to a bare minimum on small plots
and sell retail and clear 90% profit. They're caught in the cost-price
squeeze. By selling retail direct, you can make a good sideline income (I do
even at my age) or a good living on very little land without heavy debt for
startup capital, given fairly acceptable climate, soil, and markets. Or you
can go dead broke on a thousand acres, as millions of farm familes have done
over the years. Get big or get out is the worst advice USDA ever put out. I'd
string 'em up without trial.

Don't try to use big farmers methods on small plots. They want you to because
they want you out of business.