livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] pickup trucks?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] pickup trucks?
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2008 23:07:48 -0600

Ken is right that the principles are the same. Trying to reduce tillage is a
good start. I'd add this: your climate is not suitable for some crops, and
even if you can manage to grow them it'll be unprofitable. Hauling water
costs too much. Forget wood chips, and you don't plow under your mulch
whatever it is. BTW I'm using loose, spoiled hay and it does not blow away,
even with our frequent 50 mph winds. Dryland farming probably won't help you;
our winds just blow loose dust into the next county. The last thing you want
is to lose what topsoil you have.

Mark, I don't know how much land you're trying to work into organic
vegetables. Best to start small and make small mistakes. By small I don't
mean a few acres. I mean a few square feet. When you learn to grow in a
postage stamp garden then you learn what it takes to grow in a larger area.
How large? I make a good sideline income market growing on one sixth of an
acre. And I have a much higher gross and net, per square foot, than most any
large farmer. If you're younger and have more startup capital then you may be
able to work it into a full time income.

There are a few rules of thumb we've worked out and verified in practice
ourselves. Retail, like growers markets for example, or farmstands. Wholesale
puts you at the mercy of the middleman who pits one grower against another to
pay him the lowest price. Grow what will sell locally, grow what people
normally buy in the store, not what you think you'd like to grow. Not globe
artichokes. Limit yourself to higher value crops for the ground space they
require and the labor they need. Not watermelons. Grow in permanent beds (not
necessarily raised or framed) with permanent aisles to walk on, and plant
intensively as explained in books on that I've mentioned before. With smaller
root crops you get far more production per square foot than with wide tractor
rows. With larger plants you don't get the same increase, but by growing in
permanent beds you still make the gains from not compacting the soil by
walking on it. I do this and it just a better way from every standpoint. I
can go into a lot more detail on these methods with documentation, including
mulch issues.

Now, crop selection is up to you, and whether you will double crop, irrigate
some way, and so forth. How you extend your growing season is up to you,
whether you grow starts or buy them, spend for low tunnels or hoop houses,
and so forth. Your aim will be to hold down costs relative to your total
gross income, obviously, because the difference is your pay. This is just a
broad outline. BTW none of these methods are original; they've all been done
and described in many places for many years.