livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Future Organic Farmers of America

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Future Organic Farmers of America
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2008 13:49:33 -0600

I see what you've answered to Ken there, but I'm going to throw cold water on
it. You want to grow several acres of organic vegetables, but you don't have
the equipment for that much area, you don't want to use manure, you don't
have the rainfall for cover crops to build soil OM, and you can't take it out
of production to build soil. I'd say you've answered all the questions.
You're asking how to do it when all options are ruled out in advance.

So you're dryland farming acres of vegetables conventionally, using
machinery, fertilizers, and probably herbicides and pesticides, without
replenishing organic matter in the soil, losing topsoil to wind erosion, and
most likely your costs are eating up your sales. I'd sell out and move
somewhere better for growing. There are plenty of places in this country
where people simply shouldn't farm at all. Farming in those places just
degrades the soil and bankrupts the farmer.