livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] pickup trucks?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "mcoldiron" <mcoldiron@crcom.net>
  • To: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen@earthlink.net>, "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] pickup trucks?
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 15:19:08 -0500

I'm trying to move toward organic vegetable farming as much as possible. I still till the soil like a regular farmer, but am trying to find a way not to do it so much and conserve water. I live in a very hot and arid part of west Texas with an annual rainfall of 18 inches or less. The soil is a sandy loam. Due to the unpredictable rain here I want to try using mulch and drip irrigation. The well water isn't good, so it'll have to be hauled in.

I have questions about mulch? It's so windy here until the end of June, that anything other than wood chips will just blow away. Can I use wood chips for mulch? If so, what will that do when I plow them under each year? Will their decomposition tie up the Nitrogen so I can't grow anything for a year or two? What about planting, won't the chips interfere with the planter? Sure could use some very basic "been there done that" advice.

Thanks
TxBeeFarmer (Mark)
West Texas Zone 7b

----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen@earthlink.net>