livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] High gas prices

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Dan Conine <dconine@bertramwireless.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] High gas prices
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2008 15:26:32 -0500

Lots of good responses on that thread. My kudos to everyone and why I enjoy this list.

I just want to add a couple of thoughts:
Speculation: When it comes to commodities, speculation only speeds up a process that is happening. It doesn't artificially raise prices. The trades are for real goods and real demands for those goods, and contracting out actually is keeping the prices lower through competitive bidding than they could be over the long term if we allowed the old Trusts to take over.
High prices are their own worst enemy. If the prices are too high, they will crash down. So far, the supply doesn't look good. (Peak Oil)
Commuters: Prices are just getting to where it really hurts people enough to drag themselves out of their comfortable rut and make personal changes. In all of the articles and complaints, however, I have not seen anyone suggest that corporations be forced to provide transportation for employees (allowed to charge fees, of course), yet we make schools do it all the time. They can either pay more wages or send out a van....we'll see where it goes. I think I see an entrepreneurial opportunity for farmers: instead of driving school bus, they could be driving people to work in the morning and picking them up in the afternoon: and selling them vegetables at the same time. Win win win scenario.

Go ahead and file a business method patent on the idea if you want. I won't contest it....;-)

Now, looking back through recent history, suppose the point of our government's activities has been to simply raise the price of oil to get people accustomed to paying high prices for energy. Conspiracy? You be the judge.

-Dan C.
Belgium,WI