livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Reason for high gas prices

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: emitch@att.net, livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Reason for high gas prices
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2008 08:28:30 -0600

Trying not to stray too far from our main topic, I'm reading that pension
funds and big investors are buying into commodities like oil and grains
(which drives up their price) because they need a place to put money that's
safe and won't lose from inflation. In fact inflation is the about only
reason for apparent gains in dollar value of stocks and bonds over the last
few months or years, and there were no real gains. I can't blame pension
funds for trying to safeguard peoples' retirement savings; retirement
security is getting more iffy all the time. I don't call that evil
speculation. Those whose retirement is in stocks are seeing it gradually
evaporate. Now a lot of those big RVs are getting parked in the back yard
permanently.

More on topic, all the reports I'm seeing say food and oil are bound to keep
going up, and the economy will keep going down. So again, how we learn - or
don't learn - to live on the land is a make or break issue.