livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Food Stamps/Cooking from scratch

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: anna Lorrai <cactusandquail@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Food Stamps/Cooking from scratch
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 14:45:40 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks for the welcome.

 I live alone and I have found that simple foods can be fast foods. It doesn't take a lot of time or skill to put on a pot of beans in the crockpot to cook over night.  I keep boiled potatoes, brown rice, and black beans, cooked and  in the frig. From these basics lots of quick and healthy meals can be made. Split a potato, take your beans and tomato, onion, and whatever you like for chili and then top you potato, add a bit of cheese, into the micro wave.  Brown rice makes quick stir fry rice. add any of the basics  with vegies for a nice soup.  Take top ramon noodles and add a pack of mixed frozen vegies , great noodles and vegies.  Egg foo young is very simple and easy to make, use cabbage instead of bean sprouts if you don't have them.  Tacos with beans and shredded cabbage and cheese, simple and quick. It doesn't take a lot of knowledge to cook up simple meals with basics. I'm not trying to jab the poor but I learned to cook from a cookbook and others can.

I live on land and have chickens so I cook the basics once a week and the left overs go out to the chickens.  I also make deviled eggs a lot, or a deviled egg mix with tofu that I dip vegies in.  It's very satisfying and good. No complicated recipes. Whole wheat bisquits are very easy to make from scratch, as is gravy. Add some vegies or whatever and there you go.  That's why I raise my eyebrows.  Anna