livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Food stamps/cooking from scratch

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Liz <liz@allslash.org>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Food stamps/cooking from scratch
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 19:31:51 -0400

At 01:50 PM 5/27/2008, you wrote:

I realize people who live in the city sometimes can't shop where they want. What do people do who don't have food stamps like myself. You plan and work it out so you can survive.

Even in rural areas, it can be difficult to buy wisely if you don't have a car. I live nine miles from the nearest grocery store. Some of my elderly non-driving neighbors have to shop at the local gas station/convenience store unless someone is generous enough to take them into town to the supermarket. Everyone's situation, and understanding, is different.

But, on a more cheerful note, I'm seeing more and more on the local news about saving money on food by actually preparing meals from raw ingredients. If the current situation persists, that kind of programming will continue.

Liz in SW VA
http://life-as-a-spectator-sport.com