livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Food stamp recipients pinched by high food prices

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TamesonOB" <tamesonob@metrocast.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Food stamp recipients pinched by high food prices
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 12:37:11 -0400

It caught me that they kept saying that the food stamps aren't increasing with the price increases of food. Well the paychecks of the working class (and other classes but I'm less worried about them) aren't going up either - in fact some are going down due to the decrease in construction and trucking, and a general decrease in the economy spurring decreases in available overtime etc. So what happens when these marginal people can't afford food anymore? There's little left in the foodstamp budget, there's little left in the food pantries. That's what scares me, that those who are just above the poverty line will fall below it and not have any help available for them.

I'm glad I live in an area where I can grow my own food. 'Cause at least I have that. As it is I'm pretty sure we won't be able to afford oil next winter unless they adjust the income levels for fuel assistance, but to not be able to afford food as well, well that's a real kick in the face.

Tameson in NH
http://tamesonsmusings.blogspot.com/