livingontheland - [Livingontheland] soil and water crisis

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Michael Kaer <michaelkaer@yahoo.ca>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] soil and water crisis
  • Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 16:28:21 -0400 (EDT)

As a side note to the issues discussed, I have a partial solution, one that worked in the past and with our better knowledge can work even better. Stop flushing our waste down the toilet. That would save tons of water and the "waste" would then be composted and turned into valuable nutrients. For those who do not want to put human manure on food producing plants, you could compost it and grow a nitrogen fixing crop like clover out of it, The compost the clover or till it into the land. I prefer no till or low till situations since that it the lowest cost and lowest energy using options. A high-tech solution is to get digesters on all farms to handle all wastes and turn it into fuel. any way you do it , you will be saving water and you would not be flushing nutrients down the toilet. They would stay on the farm. I do not have a solution for cities, since I do not think they are sustainable. On an individual basis you could construct composting toilets and use the compost after it has aged a year or two on food producing plants or again create a 2 stage use of the compost like on the farm, but on a smaller scale. I live in the best of both worlds, a small city surrounded by farms and lakes.

 Any comments are welcome. EEW and ICK are not comments.

Michael J. Kaer