livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Fwd:New Transporting Hay Regs

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Fwd:New Transporting Hay Regs
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 22:12:43 -0600

Herbicides do break down in a season but their breakdown byproducts are
persistent and some are toxic. We don't know much more. The Precautionary
Principle should come in here, and no herbicide can be completely safe. But
there's no practical way to trace back from most food products to specific
hay fields. And even with more regulations they won't fund inspections enough
to safeguard most of our food. IMHO there's no solution in the government
direction, only in our own local food security.