livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Moon and signs and herbal potions <was> A History of Organic Farming--

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Moon and signs and herbal potions <was> A History of Organic Farming--
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 13:06:10 -0800 (PST)

Bruce,

I had been meaning to try some of these techniques. However, so far this
has failed because both the use of herbal brews and planting according to
the calendar were originally designed for temperate climate zones, and so
far I haven't come across any way of adapting them to the type of
Mediterranean semi-arid climate I live in now.

Stinging nettles, comfrey etc. grow naturally in temperate zones, but here
it is very difficult to cultivate them even in the best of garden soils. Perhaps,
if I had more experience I could try and identify native plants that fulfil the
same functions. But, when it comes to planting according the calendar,
the difficulties are even worse, because when we get two or three days of
rain after 3 or 6 months of drought, I have got to get the seeds into the field
no matter what the moon phases or the constellations are like.

Dieter Brand
Portugal

bruce smith <cityhomesteader@gmail.com> wrote:
Heck Guys I still use herbal potions and moon signs.. Comfrey, nettles, tansy, and quite a few more are proven to benefit the soil and plants.. The moon does have a direct influence on the earth and our bodies.. The signs are just the way to measure when these forces take place..  As when the Moon is waxing and in the sign of Cancer plant above ground seed bearing crops etc..
It makes sense that when there is to be a full moon the tides are higher, people are crazier and pardon me ladies they call a woman's menstrual cycle her moon time for a reason..