livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Shattering Myths: ?Can sustainable agriculture feed the world?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: emitch@att.net, livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Shattering Myths: ?Can sustainable agriculture feed the world?
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 19:59:25 -0700

Hey, you're doing something and that's better than nothing, right? We don't
even try to produce a "healthy, diverse, year-round diet" where we live.
We're not supposed to. That's why we network and make friends who grow
things we don't and raise animals. We had some fine goat milk and meat the
other night, but we're not about to try goats and spread ourselves too
thin. Market garden is enough to keep up with.

Jeavons' How to Grow More vegetables etc. is probably on the mark on
yields, can't say for sure. I strongly recommend two older Rodale books.
and High-Yield Gardening has a chart on yield for a dozen common
vegetables, page 102.
http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?ac=sl&st=sl&qi=wFxmDWRYl8TKN.In9LcTpOCCIFg
_2496093669_1:2:256
as low as $4.
Getting The Most From Your Garden has a similar chart page 7.
http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?ac=sl&st=sl&qi=Y1pljg5B5RPJkos4DbgnLY2TdIs
_4451134872_1:4:117 as low as $4 used

The trouble with any charts is yield obviously depends on too many factors.
What both books show is how much more can be grown in permanent intensive
beds as opposed to row cropping in the field. I proved it for myself. Both
go into great detail on many practices for growing the most in whatever
space, and I consider them indispensable.

(Off topic, but on the subject of overpopulation we just learned my
daughter in law's great grandmother just passed, and she has about 200
direct descendants. Hispanic family, rosary & funeral, whole nine yards.)