livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Shattering Myths: ?Can sustainable agriculture feed the world?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Shattering Myths: ?Can sustainable agriculture feed the world?
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 19:21:07 -0700

It's good to be with good strong country people, as you put it. We're
working on that where we are. But I have to stress that dieoffs are nothing
new. Indians in the Americas were said to number ten to twenty million
before being decimated by the European invasion. The Plague once wiped out
a third of Europe. Papa Joe Stalin decimated millions of ethnic minorities
in the north and millions more in the engineered famine in Ukraine. WW II
killed or starved tens of millions in Europe including Russia. Two million
died in the Vietnam War. Today forces beyond their control are wiping out
millions of Africans and Asians. With world food stocks at a danger level
and commodity inflation out of control, it's getting worse already in parts
of the world. A billion people live on two or three dollars a day or less.
When food costs too much, they starve. Dieoff is a fact of life and it's
spreading now.

We've been uniquely fortunate in this country without a major war on our
own territory in the last century and a half. We were lucky to have a
westward moving frontier in our history, with cheap land and resources. In
the 1800's every financial panic back east sparked a new wave of migration
westward. Until the 20th century that is. The Depression found people with
no more free land to the west. Now we don't even have the buffer of half
our population living on the land and fairly self sufficient in food.

I harbor no ilusions about what a few of us can do to bring a brighter
future with thriving rural communities and towns and healthier people and
agriculture. But then I'm not trying to save the world at all, because this
country, much less the world, doesn't want to be saved. I just don't want
to be part of the problem, and hope to help others who are willing and able
to help themselves. Other people are responsible for themselves. Does
anyone feel responsible for me? Not last I heard.

You mention you're not sure how we will organize our community to avoid
such problems should they occur. I have to say it's already here for
millions. The crunch facing soup kitchens and homeless shelters is already
old news. As food goes up and inflation eats away at peoples' paychecks,
donations fall and charities can't possibly keep up with the growing crowds
at the door. How many L.A. residents know they have 80,000 homeless in the
city? Most of us are sheltered from the bad news.

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.