livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Shattering Myths: ?Can sustainable agriculture feed the world?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Shattering Myths: ?Can sustainable agriculture feed the world?
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 15:44:37 -0700

In modern famines people don't form wild mobs and go pillaging. Hungry
people don't have the energy. What we see happening instead is gradual
migration from the havenot countries to the haves. We see it and Europe
too. What was the old saying - don't beggar your neighbor?

On so many lists people fret over what they'd do if hungry hordes came
after their own supplies. They stock up with guns and ammunition. Bunker
mentality. The last thing they worry about is learnning to produce their
own food in cooperation with neighbors. Yet they always seem to assume they
won't be one of the hungry themselves. Hmmm.