livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] The Poor Get Diabetes; The Rich Get Local and Organic

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TamesonOB" <tamesonob@metrocast.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] The Poor Get Diabetes; The Rich Get Local and Organic
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 12:18:13 -0500

----- Original Message ----- From: "Liz" <liz@allslash.org>

Good points. One thing I've found, though, is that Hispanic markets,
even the small ones in the inner cities, tend to have far more fresh
produce, meat, fish and seafood than the other convenience stores,
because their patrons expect to find those things for sale.

When I was little Sesame Street used to air a video short about making soup - I think it was supposed to teach you Spanish because it was all in Spanish, but I don't remember the words so much as the visual...it took you into a small inner city shop, where the lady picked out a whole chicken that was not wrapped in plastic and Styrofoam, some carrots with the leafy tops on them, some rice from a bin with a scoop, and a couple of onions - she then walked home and cooked some chicken and rice soup. I always thought that must have been some special soup because mine came from a can, my chicken from plastic, my carrots from the freezer, and my rice from a red box which we drove to the store to get.

Tameson