livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] The Poor Get Diabetes; The Rich Get Local and Organic

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Phil Bunch" <pbunch@cox.net>
  • To: "'Healthy soil and sustainable growing'" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] The Poor Get Diabetes; The Rich Get Local and Organic
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 13:06:58 -0800

Beautiful.

-----Original Message-----
From: livingontheland-bounces@lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:livingontheland-bounces@lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of TamesonOB
Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2008 9:18 AM
To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing
Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] The Poor Get Diabetes;The Rich Get Local and
Organic

----- Original Message -----
From: "Liz" <liz@allslash.org>

> Good points. One thing I've found, though, is that Hispanic markets,
> even the small ones in the inner cities, tend to have far more fresh
> produce, meat, fish and seafood than the other convenience stores,
> because their patrons expect to find those things for sale.

When I was little Sesame Street used to air a video short about making
soup - I think it was supposed to teach you Spanish because it was all in
Spanish, but I don't remember the words so much as the visual...it took you
into a small inner city shop, where the lady picked out a whole chicken that

was not wrapped in plastic and Styrofoam, some carrots with the leafy tops
on them, some rice from a bin with a scoop, and a couple of onions - she
then walked home and cooked some chicken and rice soup. I always thought
that must have been some special soup because mine came from a can, my
chicken from plastic, my carrots from the freezer, and my rice from a red
box which we drove to the store to get.

Tameson