livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] soil amendments, first time usage, and mulch questions

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Sheila Baker" <she4bikes@gmail.com>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] soil amendments, first time usage, and mulch questions
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 09:18:56 -0800

Your humus will bring down you pH.
-Sheila

On 1/9/08, Pumpkin Lady <pumpkin@xanadoo.com> wrote:
Hi, I'm new.

Even though I got a nice shiny new rototiller for Christmas this year,
I'm perfectly willing to use it for small fire breaks, ground leveling
and softening in areas I have to move dirt rather than my garden...BUT
how do you get your mineral soil amendments in the ground? Just scatter
them on top and leave them rather than tilling them in?

I seriously need sulfur added to my garden beds. My soil pH is
marginally too high and my water pH is higher, so the pH in the garden
is only going to go up.  This is my first time working this soil, and it
is a former (small) pasture, even so, I am not supposed to till to
loosen the soil if I understand correctly? Just scatter sulfur on top
now and let sit there, or is it ok to work stuff in with something
smaller than a tiller into the first inch or two?

I don't have a lot of hay or stuff. Pretty much the acreage I have is a
lot of weeds and some grass. I can get some mulch from the grass.  Can I
use mulch mowed from grass on the side of the road or is that still
considered a bad idea?(Was it ever a bad idea?) I had also been
contemplating planting some perennial alfalfa for future use, but I
wonder if that would be too hot for mulching with. Everyone says alfalfa
can burn plants, but does it if it's only on top of the soil? If I
shredded up newspaper to add to the grass is that a bad idea, or should
I stick to that for marking my permanent walkways with?

I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks,
Morgan (zone 7a-b border) West Texas.