livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Growing in our area/ was no-till and onsite slaughter

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "bruce smith" <cityhomesteader@gmail.com>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Growing in our area/ was no-till and onsite slaughter
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 07:06:56 -0500

Hi Folks,
I enjoyed hearing that I am not the only one growing under adverse conditions..
I'm raised bed gardening on a south east running slope over New England sandstone.

The beds are rich and fertile now.. Woodchip, leaves and mini horse donuts did the trick.  I use shell beach "sand" and woodashes here for lime.  Hoping to finally get the garden into full swing.. What are you all growing this year?  I'm in New England CT and will be building a wood and plastic "solar" greenhouse over a couple of beds so as to have salads and such through our winters.. This winter I am kicking myself because it is so mild!  Yesterday was 57 degrees!!!  We heat with oil and the house is set at 60..It was paradise outside!! The ground was actually thawing!!