livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Growing in our area/ was no-till and onsite slaughter

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "E. E. Mitchamore Jr" <emitch@att.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Growing in our area/ was no-till and onsite slaughter
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 05:51:35 -0600

I gotta tell you that 18" sounds like a real dream to us.  The soil here is 6" - 12" of poor clay on top of 500' of limestone.  Still, limestone is cracked and pretty porous.  Even without raised beds you can grow a garden.  With just 6" raised beds you can't tell that all that rock is down there.

E. E. "Mitch" Mitchamore
www.hillcountrynatives.biz