livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Growing in our area/ was no-till and onsite slaughter

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Growing in our area/ was no-till and onsite slaughter
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 13:48:34 -0700

No doubt you're right about our Estancia Basin soil and your area by the
Sandias. Still, we both have semi-arid climate and poor soil to work with.

Here's my bottom line. If I spread my growing over a much larger area I
couldn't frame raised beds on this slope, I'd be in debt for a tiller, I'd
spend way too much on straw mulch and amendments, or without mulch I'd have
to weed bare ground constantly, I might run my well dry, and it wouldn't
produce any more than it does now on one-sixth of an acre. Why not? Because
I couldn't plant intensively in permanent beds, and with regular tilling
and/or weed cultivation it would take a lot longer to build up my soil
organic matter. Tilling oxidizes soil organic matter.

Only the initial season was labor intensive, with fencing and framed, level
beds without erosion. Now I don't have to rebuild, redig and redo all the
initial amendments. I'm now in the process of just adding a thin layer of
the amendment mix without redigging the beds. And every bed will outproduce
last year.

Until recently I wouldn't have believed this intensive approach could
produce so much in a limited space that I can work by hand - and start on a
shoestring and make a good retail profit at farmers markets. I'm convinced
this approach IS scalable, and would make a good living under better
conditions - if I had more level land, slightly more startup capital, more
water or rain (and if I were younger ;-) Yet millions of people do have
those better conditions, and could find financial security and independence
growing and retailing locally.

So I don't exactly follow Ruth Stout, the Rodales, Jeavons, Fukuoka,
Salatin, Coleman, or anyone else, but try to take what works from everyone.
We're probably closer to bio-intensive than anything else. I make some
mistakes in adapting to conditions. However, I won't double-dig because the
subsoil is only six inches down, and I have to build up instead. And I
don't have years to wait for great soil, so I work in lots of the good
amendments to begin and won't dig or till at all in the future. Not
strictly no-till to start, but production is great already. We've had no
losses from the bugs tho they covered the garden by August. Of course we
use no chemicals or synthetic fertilizers. Healthy soil = healthy plants =
healthy people. YMMV.