livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Growing in our area/ was no-till and onsite slaughter

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Liz <liz@allslash.org>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Growing in our area/ was no-till and onsite slaughter
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 22:24:37 -0500

At 03:48 PM 1/8/2008, you wrote:

However, I won't double-dig because the
subsoil is only six inches down, and I have to build up instead.

I keep telling the local folk that decades of tractor plowing the land I'm gardening now has created a permanent cement-like layer about 18" down, and that's one reason I was using raised beds. The response I got? "But if you had someone plow it for you, you wouldn't have all that work to build raised beds!"

Sigh. I planted cardoon and jerusalem artichokes and some kind of Chinese radish that's supposed to go down four or five feet. I'm hoping those will at least help break up that subsoil layer.

Liz in SW VA
http://life-as-a-spectator-sport.com