livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] the ways that best sustain the farmer/ Efficiency

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Liz <liz@allslash.org>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] the ways that best sustain the farmer/ Efficiency
  • Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 23:17:05 -0500

At 10:14 PM 12/26/2007, you wrote:

Barb tossed out a couple thoughts on it I have to pass on. They weren't
usually high paying jobs, true. But - and it's a big but - their cost of
living in those communities was much lower. Few families needed more than
one wagearner. They didn't have long commutes, and didn't have to shop all
over a city for necessities. And most of what they earned was spent locally
and recycled through the town's businesses - a big plus to support local
businesses.

Yes, exactly. We've got a skewed vision of efficiency nowadays, when all it means is a way to minimize human labor. We've forgotten that the shared labor cemented communities in ways that the money by itself couldn't do, but in addition, when the money stayed in the community, it benefited and profited everyone.

Liz in SW VA
http://life-as-a-spectator-sport.com