livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Efficiency

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Liz <liz@allslash.org>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Efficiency
  • Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 20:01:18 -0500

At 09:03 PM 12/25/2007, you wrote:

create millions of good
paying occupations and restore rural prosperity,

This is what I keep coming back to when I talk to people about buying locally, and about the false economy of "efficiency" (as it's usually defined). The use of machinery to do jobs previously performed by people is touted as one of modern society's great benefits. I say it's one of the worst things that has happened to modern society. Yes, machinery has made some occupations much safer than they used to be, and good for that. But in the hands of people whose only definition of efficiency is a greater profit margin, mechanized labor, particularly agriculture, has eliminated millions of jobs. They weren't high paying jobs. But they put food on the table, dignity and a sense of accomplishment in people's souls, and sustained a stable local economy for thousands of small towns and villages across the country. That's the true American dream.

Liz in SW VA
http://life-as-a-spectator-sport.com