livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Efficiency

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Efficiency
  • Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2007 19:03:53 -0700

Indeed we do. What few sustainability "experts" have realized so far is how
partial solutions to so many health, social, economic, and ecological
problems are closely related in agriculture.

Healthy organic growing is nice by itself. But more importantly it can also
be intelligently managed to almost eliminate agriculture's need for
fossil/biomass fuels, and sequester soil carbon (if that can slow global
warming), plus greatly improve growers' income, create millions of good
paying occupations and restore rural prosperity, provide more affordable
food for all, increase community self sufficiency, cut the cost of health
care overall, and restore the land's fertility, freshwater, ecosystems, and
oceans - and do all this without a vote or a dime of government money.
.
Those answers won't bring peace on earth, or bring back 8-track tapes, but
all together they can make a serious dent in the seemingly unrelated
problems addressed. Exploring and publicizing these connections is the
urgent need for many reasons. The notion that it won't happen is defeatist.
Win, lose, or draw, we can choose to be part of the problem or part of the
solution.

On 12/25/2007 at 4:28 PM Ken Hargesheimer wrote:

>We already have the answers to all those questions. What is not
>available is "the will to implement them". In my workshops, the first
>thing I do is put up a poster 8½ x 14 [48 size fonts] as follows:
snip