livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] electric car

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: bruce smith <cityhomesteader@gmail.com>
  • To: Harold and Sue Karber <karber@pldi.net>, Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] electric car
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 16:00:01 -0400

I'm sick to death of this entire oil thing..  only because it is depressing and not going to go away..But only get worse.

I am city homesteading and building healthy gardens where I live. Trying to close the loop and use free soil building organic waste. Also will be setting up a hoop house as described in Coleman's Book Four season Harvest and growing micro greens as well as making a barrelponics setup down in my basement to increase food I can grow myself.  I also made a vow to get better acquainted with my fishing pole and bring some free protein into the house.  Wild Harvesting more foods as well as incorporating some wild foods into my landscape through forest gardening and permaculture.. I live in the city on 3/4 of an acre and have gardened here for ten years.. Before that I was gardening organically where ever I could find the land to do so. Thankfully I had some awesome landlords.
One of my Major Goals is to put a Solar electric panel on my roof! But moneys are tight.

Harold and Sue Karber wrote:

What totally amazes me is the lack of understanding of our monetary system by the average person.   We are getting hit with a double whammy and it escapes most people.   A quick example is when oil hit $88,00  many countries like Japan stopped using USA dollars as payment and switched to yens since the same oil we buy with USA devalued dollars cost $88.00 in USA dollars the same barrel of oil cost $77.00 in yens.   So not only is our dollar buying less both by the barrel and at the pump it also buys less everywhere else.   That is deflation of the dollar but also inflation when buying those not local goods.   Yet the credit spending spree goes on and imports soar.

The moral to this is be prepared to pay more with less valuable monies and/or learn to buy local, feed yourself, barter and get off the petroleum addiction.   For us that is greenhouse for winter veggies, solar and wind energy off the grid and buying local and not just buying stuff.