livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] electric car

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Harold and Sue Karber" <karber@pldi.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] electric car
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 11:58:21 -0500

Here are a couple of sites to get you started.   If you are using grid power then where is the savings in reality since black outs or brown outs are a reality in the making and unless hydro produced subject to all the ills of petroleum based problems and pollution.      We do use battery powered equipment charged with solar or wind energy which would not be used in our daily living.   My sickle mower will give 3 hours per batteries and I have two sets of batteries which is a full days use or six hours actual mowing time.   With breaks and stops this is an eight hour day for me.   Three days of bailing my own grass hay is winter feed or pea vines etc.  5 acres.  The manure which is organic goes back into the soil,  the extra  hay or cutting is gathered and composted or used for mulch.     I hate lawns but in our climate that Bermuda grass makes great hay and my city boy husband has his lawn which does not get any chemicals or commercial fertilizer.  Organic or nothing.

What totally amazes me is the lack of understanding of our monetary system by the average person.   We are getting hit with a double whammy and it escapes most people.   A quick example is when oil hit $88,00  many countries like Japan stopped using USA dollars as payment and switched to yens since the same oil we buy with USA devalued dollars cost $88.00 in USA dollars the same barrel of oil cost $77.00 in yens.   So not only is our dollar buying less both by the barrel and at the pump it also buys less everywhere else.   That is deflation of the dollar but also inflation when buying those not local goods.   Yet the credit spending spree goes on and imports soar.

The moral to this is be prepared to pay more with less valuable monies and/or learn to buy local, feed yourself, barter and get off the petroleum addiction.   For us that is greenhouse for winter veggies, solar and wind energy off the grid and buying local and not just buying stuff.